>Last night I went to see the final installment of the Star Wars saga. While it was better than the forgettable Attack of the Clones, it was no wear near as good as the originals.
If you haven’t seen the movie, you might not want to read my review because I might include a spoiler or two.
Problems I had with the movie:
- Hayden Christensen. I don’t know if it was bad writing or bad acting, but I just had a tough time accepting him. I couldn’t suspend my disbelief and get into his character. I didn’t buy his evil ways or his good ones. Plus there was a scene with him and Natalie Portman (who had no chemistry with this guy) where the dialogue seemed more awkward and stilted than usual. It was like he flubbed the timing, but they didn’t reshoot the scene. Ok, every scene with these two talking to each other was awkward and stilted.
- Coughing robot. What the hell was up with that? It was distracting. All I kept thinking was, “Where are its lungs?” I understand that it was a foreshadowing of what was to happen to Darth Vader, but it took to long to reveal that to the audience. They should have showed the eyes or something sooner.
- Fight scenes. Speaking of things that take too long, could George Lucas have made better use of the editor he hired? Jesus H. Christ. I get it. They are fighting. It doesn’t do much for the plot to have a 10 minute fight scene!
- Padmae’s death. This is a two parter. First, I didn’t buy the love story, so I didn’t buy her dying of a broken heart. Second, Star Wars geeks correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Leia tell Luke in Return of the Jedi that she remembered her real mother as being beautiful, sad, and crying alot? Story problem!! How can Leia remember anything about her mother if she died when she was an infant?
- Yoda fight scene. Didn’t Yoda have electricity shooting out of his hands in Attack of the Clones? Why didn’t he do that in this movie?
- Anakin’s tutelage in the Dark Side. Did I blink and miss the years it took to learn his Dark powers? It takes years to become a Jedi and minutes to become a Sith?
- Anakin vs. the Jedi. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Obi Wan tell Luke that Darth Vader helped to hunt down and kill the Jedi? It looked like the Clones did all that to me and Anakin just killed a bunch of kids. Lots of help there!
I did enjoy seeing how the Emperor got all gnarly looking. Overall, I felt disappointed. I tried to go in there with low expectations, but it’s impossible. I already know how great of a storyteller Lucas can be.