There’s always things you should or shouldn’t be doing when you are in the realm of online dating. Mostly, and I’m sure I’ve said this before, common sense should be your guide. Everyone has their quirks, but there are a few guidelines that could be helpful:
- Gift giving. What ever you do, DO NOT give your date a gift when you meet for the first time in real life. Yes, it’s a sweet gesture, if it’s something like flowers (because they can easily be tossed away if I don’t like you), but if it’s something like letting them borrow your favorite book, that screams “Let’s get married tomorrow!!!” and will make me (and probably most other people) run for the hills even if I like you a little bit.
- Hand holding. Now, I thoroughly enjoy when a man holds my hand. What I don’t enjoy is when he smashes it in a death grip. Seriously, my fingers should always have feeling in them dude! That tingling sensation isn’t lust, it’s loss of blood flow!
- Alcohol. A little mud in your eye is a good thing to ease away some of the nervousness that’s bound to be flooding your brain. But to get so drunk that you can barely keep your eyes open much less get yourself safely home from the first date, not safe or cool, dude.
- Timing. Don’t be late. Ever. Ever. Ever. Why are you late? You better let me know and even still, I’m going to be pissed off. I could have been late. I don’t have superpowers. I just plan my time well and respect yours. If you can’t respect even my time, you are not getting into my pants.
- Saying good bye. This is the most awkward moment of the date for both people, even if it went swimmingly well. I always opt for the hug. I’m getting better and knowing when a guy feels confident enough to go for the kiss, but I’m still clueless most of the time. There is no smooth transition. You just kind of have to go for it or sense when the moment is right. The hug helps because it breaks that touch barrier. What you don’t want to do is grab my boobs and then run away.